Sunday, March 15, 2009

Review: The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo


I am probably the last person on the planet to read this book (even my kids read it before I did) but I wanted to read it before I saw the movie, which I still haven't gotten around to seeing (at the rate I move, it'll probably be out on DVD before I see it). In any case, this was a really sweet little book. Despereaux is one small mouse, unusual in the mouse world, who has one big heart and courage and determination to match. After he is banished from the mouse world for talking to (and falling in love with) Princess Pea, a human being, he must escape the dungeons and the rats who live there and rescue the Princess in the process. Like all good fairy tales, there is a morality tale here, woven throughout the absolutely enchanting story. Children's literature can often be too blatantly lesson-filled but this one keeps a good balance, teaching and entertaining in equal measure. I was completely delighted by the book and look forward to seeing the movie too. You can be fairly certain that I will continue buying DiCamillo's works for myself...ahem...for my kids.

1 comment:

  1. When I ask my kids what their favorite books that I've read aloud to them are, they always name Tale of Despereaux in their top picks. The movie was just okay, though - not magical, like the book was.

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts