Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday Salon: Overscheduled

Do you ever look at your calendar and think: Was I on crack when I scheduled so much? I've been getting that feeling lately. The advent of spring has always increased my feeling of being a hamster on a wheel, running like mad but getting no where. Between spring kid sports (soccer, tennis, golf, and dance competitions for sure but possibly track too depending on the outcome of tryouts this coming week), my volunteer commitments (school library, PTA, and two school book fairs--one as a worker bee and one as the co-chair), and the promises I've made to myself about getting active again (tennis, running, walking, and perhaps the oh so British netball if it ever resumes), I feel like I barely have time to breathe let alone read. Yes, I am well aware I have done this to myself (well, with help from my charming children). And yes, I do this to myself every year. But this year I think I'm just going to accept that I will be frantic from now until June 10 when school lets out. I am going to embrace my overscheduled self. After all, driving to and from all these things means I am most definitely going to have lots of sitting in carpool line time to read. And that's for the good since I have shamelessly managed to accept more books for review than any one sane person should have, at least over the next two months. Since reading is my escape from the daily humdrum, it will be interesting to see how "required" reading will feel amongst a time that starts out anything but humdrum (more a logistical nightmare) and quickly becomes dreadfully dull once I've figured out the mechanics of getting three different children to three separate places all at the same time for their respective activities. Oh for a time-turner to make life easier!

It is funny to watch the van fill up with the detritus of spring. As I squeal around corners on two wheels, at least one soccer ball rolls between the seats, three sets of dance shoes spill out of their bag (and shoo-ee they should stay contained at all times if you don't want a noxious cloud threatening the atmosphere), two (or three) tennis racquets tumble head over handle in the back, and the ever growing stack of unfinished books slides off the center console of the van, knocking into a half drunk can of diet Coke (breakfast of champions) and ending up all over the floor of the front passenger seat. Perhaps I should restrict myself to short stories so I have a clue where I am in a book when the bookmark shimmies loose on one of my mad dash drives. Yes, it's a crazy time of year but I don't think I'd change it for anything. We're busy, we're happy, and through it all, somehow, some way, I am reading, even if it's just on the fly. (That person with her nose in a book at a red light? That's me. The one unconcerned by the extra long train because she's engrossed in fiction or someone else's life? Also me. The mom who barely notices her child has gotten in the car after practice and is still blocking the carpool lane until someone honks because she's trying to finish this page/paragraph/chapter? Sadly, still me.)

I have had bookmarks steadily making their way though several books (although they haven't moved at all through the British Raj or the underbelly of Dicken's London in quite a while but I intend to remedy that one of these days in the car) this week. And I went on wonderful adventures, spending time learning about the flora and fauna around the Great Lakes; going to Hollywood with a mother and daughter only to learn the cost involved with pushing your child to be a star; watching a young man and young woman in Saudi Arabia fall in love despite the restrictive and the dangerous society around them; hopping around England with the bawdy and irreverent Black Fool much beloved by King Lear as machinations and scheming reached full boil; revisiting a childhood favorite with a witch, some enchanted buttons, and a rotten wizard brother; and delighting in a Regency caper wherein the heroine made matches eminently more suitable than they had chosen for themselves for the family around her. And my daffodils are on the verge of blooming too. It's been a great start to almost spring.

9 comments:

  1. Kristen, boy does your post bring back memories - most of them great. I've thought about this before and decided there's no way I would have/could have blogged during those years - at least about books. I may have read a book a month back then - yikes! Between 3 kids' activities, volunteering at church/school/community, and keeping the house clean enough to keep the health dept away *grin* it just wouldn't have happened. You have my utmost admiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome spring! I've also been forced out of "hibernation."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck working it all in - you sure have a lot going on!

    Thanks for stopping my blog and pointing me to Deb Ball Blog - I checked it out and am now a subscriber! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, just reading about your schedule is exhausting! People sometimes wonder aloud how I find the time and energy for homeschooling, and this is kind of funny to me. Raising kids in school is as much work -- if not more -- at least if you're a really involved parent.

    Spring hasn't quite hit here, but there are glimmers of it. I can't wait! But a part of me will miss the hibernation period. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beginning of Spring is an exciting time for me as I finally leave my hibernation hole in the basement and actually get busy. Unfortunately, like you, I then take on too much and spend the next three months running around like a chicken with its head cut off (total cliche but so apt). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I thought my schedule was full! You have me beat, hands down. :-) Sometimes I look back at my more busy days and wonder how I got it all done. Somehow we do though, don't we?

    Enjoy your reading and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, Kristen - I often feel like I'm on crack when I look at my calendar! It doesn't seem to matter how many promises I make to myself to NOT over-schedule...it always happens. Hope you'll get some time to just BE once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved those busy, busy years, but I'm happy that they are behind me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! I have an award for you at my blog:

    http://booksnyc.blogspot.com/2010/03/sunday-salon-february-in-rearview.html

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts