Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Mailbox

I have been incredibly spoiled this past week by the absolute April shower of books arriving practically daily around here. That's a sure sign that one of my annual commitments reading-wis is ramping up again. Here's hoping I can keep up with the stream of books! Or at least have them read by the time they should be read. This past week's mailbox arrivals:

Molly Fox's Birthday by Deirdre Madden came from the publisher.
A novel of friendship and the ways that we remain unknown even to those close to us, this sounds like it could be very thoughtful.

Blame by Michelle Huneven came from the publisher.
I have heard great things about this novel of a college professor who awakens from a bender to find she's run down and killed a woman and her daughter.

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell came from the publisher.
I have read and been impressed with other Mitchell books so this historical fiction set in Japan really piqued my interest.

Juliet by Anne Fortier came from the publisher.
Invoke Shakespeare and you've likely got me good. Have a modern day woman inherit a key to a safey-deposit box, leading her to information about her famous relative, the woman who inspired *that* Juliet and actually loved *that* Romeo, and I'm probably yours for life.

College in a Nutskull by Anders Henriksson came from the publisher.
My teenager grabbed this when he saw it and scarpered off with it. I just hope he realizes that this is a parody of a study guide with loads of hilarious misinformation in it and he doesn't think that he's learning anything for school from it!

Between Friends by Kristy Kiernan came from Kathryn at Berkley/NAL.
Mothers, daughters, friends, and the way that a genetic illness can change the baby plans and the lifes of everyone. This sounds just up my aley.

On Folly Beach by Karen White came from Joy at Joan Schulhafer Publishing and Media.
A bookstore, a beach, and love letters, how could this be anything but wonderful? I will add that a nasty postal machine chewed up this package and book. But when I flipped through it, I was delighted to see that the damage is all confined to the gutters so I can read it without fear of having a large chunk of text missing. :-)

Just Like Me, Only Better by Carol Snow came from Joy at Joan Schulhafer Publishing and Media.
A romantic comedy where a newly single mom, the doppelganger of a famous actress, ends up posing as the actress for publicity outings set up by the actress' manager. A different look into celebrity life, this one sounds like a lot of fun.

The Hundred Foot-Journey by Richard Morais came from the Rose Marie at Inkwell Management.
An Indian family opens a restaurant in France an subsequently ends up in a feud with another local restauranteur. I just want to eat up the description of this one because it sounds absolutey marvelous!

Eternal on the Water by Joseph Monninger came from the publisher.
I've already reviewed this one at here.

Little Bee by Chris Cleave came from the publisher.
The utter lack of information and shroud of secrecy surrounding this one, even in reviews, is enticing.

Honolulu by Alan Brennert came from the publisher.
I've read Brennert's work before and enjoyed it. Add to that the whole picture bride idea, which has always held some fascination for me, and of course I would be interested in this book.

A Mountain of Crumbs by Elena Gorokhova came from the publisher.
A memoir written by a woman who grew up in the Societ Union yet was fascinated by the English language, this will be very different than many of the memoirs I have read over the years.

Spaceheadz by Jon Scieszka and Francesco Sedita came from the publisher.
The first in a new series about a boy who goes off to his first day in a new school, in a new town and meets up with aliens, this one has all the hallmarks of high entertainment for my 8 year old.

Lunatic Express by Carl Hoffman came from Michael at Regal Literary.
I really do love travel books and how fantastic is one that has the author traveling around the world by the most dangerous transports he can find? I'm glad I can armchair travel with this one rather than boarding an over-crowded ferry somewhere!

As always, if you'd like to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Marcia at The Printed Page and enjoy seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

15 comments:

  1. Wow Kristen; nice assortment. I love Honolulu. enjoy them all.

    Glad u like your iPad! I saw that Alice in Wonderland you mentioned(looks awesome).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I'm always amazed at the bounty that appears in your mailbox each week. I'm also astounded at how you can even begin to try to keep up. You do get many more books finished than I do (I'm still going with a 500 page book from 4-6 weeks ago), I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! That is alot of books!

    I have seen good reviews of Between Friends and Eternal on Water was great!

    Enjoy the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mailbox! I really want to read Eternal on the Water. Sounds so good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you had a great week in books! The only one I've read is Little Bee and I loved it. I'm really excited about On Folly Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, you got a lot of books this week! I put Blame on my wishlist the moment I saw it. Sounds like great writing! Here's my Mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow, that's a lot of books. Happy reading! My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had a fabulous week! I enjoyed Eternal On The water. Enjoy all your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a few of the same books. College in a Nutskull is hilarious! I've already finished it. LOL

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mailbox is overflowing! I've heard a lot about Little Bee on NPR lately. I'm interested to read your review.

    Here is my Mailbox list on Rose City Reader.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you do have an embarrassment of riches there. :-) These look great! I am especially drawn to Between Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks like you got some excellent books...the college in a nutskull is hilarious...and sad at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your haul closely resembles my TBR pile. Enjoy! I'm hoping to read Blame and Molly Fox's birthday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow... you have an excellent list out there! Little Bee, Honolulu, Eternal on the water, Thousand autumns! Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts