Monday, February 21, 2011

Monday Mailbox

Far more books arrived this week than expected, which is, of course, always a good thing. (Well, it's a good thing until I remember there are only 24 hours in a day!) This past week's mailbox arrivals:

The Beauty of Humanity Movement by Camilla Gibb came from Penguin Press thanks to Trish at TLC Book Tours.
A novel of modern Vietnam about a tour guide, a young Vietnamese woman returning to the country in search of answers about her father's disappearance many years before, and an old man vital to his pondside community, this one appeals because the country of Vietnam has always held a fascination for me.

The Long Goodbye by Meghan O'Rourke came from Riverhead Hardcover thanks to Lisa at TLC Book Tours.
A grief memoir might sound like a downer but sometimes they have the most sublime writing in them. I am hoping this one has exactly that.

The Sandalwood Tree by Elle Newmark came from Atria.
I loved Newmark's first book and this one set as India pushes towards independence and detailing two love stories sounds fantastic.

When Tito Loved Clara by Jon Michaud came from Algonquin Books.
A family drama whereby an old high school boyfriend reappears and pushes things to a breaking point? Delicious!

What You See in the Dark by Manuel Munoz came from Algonquin Books.
I am a little worried this one, with its backdrop of the filming of Psycho, might stretch my reading world beyond its limits but then again, being stretched isn't always a bad thing. I just don't know if I can take that shower scene in written form (not that it is necessarily in the book; I'm just sayin'.)

Something For Nothing by David Anthony came from Algonquin Books.
Publishers Weekly calls the main character a "lovable drug smuggler." I didn't know there was such a thing. Should be interesting to see how Anthony pulls this off!

As always, if you'd like to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Library of Clean Reads as she is hosting this month's Mailbox Monday and have fun seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

6 comments:

  1. The Camilla Gibb book, is one that really appeals to me. Enjoy all of your new treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look good - it'll be hard to decide which one to read first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Camilla Gibb book looks great. I'm excited for When Tito Loved Clara too, as it's written by a librarian. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's The Sandalwood Tree again! It has been in quite a few mailboxes. It looks like it will be a good read! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts