Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This meme is hosted by Breaking the Spine and is meant to highlight some great pre-publication books we all can't wait to get our grubby little mitts on.

The Beach at Galle Road by Joanna Luloff. The book is being released by Algonquin on Oct. 2, 2012.

Amazon says this about the book: When rumors of civil war between the ruling Sinhalese and the Tamils in the northern sector of Sri Lanka reach those who live in the south, somehow it seems not to be happening in their own country. At least not until Janaki's sister, Lakshmi--now a refugee whose husband has disappeared--comes back to live with her family. And when Sam, an American Peace Corps worker who boards with Janaki's family, falls in love with one of his students, a young girl from the north, he, too, becomes acutely aware of the dangers that exist for any- one who gets drawn into the conflict, however marginally.

Skillfully weaving together the stories of these and other intersecting lives, The Beach at Galle Road explores themes of memory and identity amid the consequences of the Sri Lankan civil war. From different points of view, across generations and geographies, it pits the destructive power of war against the resilient power of family, individual will, and the act of storytelling itself.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristen,

    I just can't believe that there has been a civil war going on in Sri Lanka since 1983 and that it is still as acrimonious and bloody today as it was back then.

    This sounds like a great premise for a powerful and emotional charged story, so I am not surprised that you are waiting for this one to be published.

    I see that this is Joanna's debut novel, however having served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Baddegama, Sri Lanka, I am sure that the authenticity is going to be real and genuine.

    I have added this one to my wish list as well, so thanks for the recommendation.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts