Friday, July 26, 2013

Review: Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers by Louise Rennison

I discovered the Georgia Nicholson series by Louise Rennison many years ago with the first in the series, Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging. To meet Georgia is to love her, even if she is mouthy and chock full of teenaged attitude. In this installment, Georgia is as boy crazy as ever. Robbie, the Sex God of previous books is in New Zealand so Georgia has changed her focus to Masimo, the gorgeous Italian-American boy (the Luuurve God) who can't seem to decide between Georgia and Wet Lindsay. He's visiting America and his family there when the book opens so it's terrifically exciting when Georgia's dad announces that they too are going to Hamburger-a-gogo land for a car show.

Georgia is her usual funny, snarky self on the brief trip to Memphis with her family and best friend Jas. She's as demeaning as ever towards her parents and her friends. And the secondary characters continue to let her ride roughshod over them, somewhat inexplicably. Jas is so wrapped up in boyfriend Tom and his trip to New Zealand that she is occasionally oblivious to Georgia's continual crises over Masimo and the state of their maybe relationship. Dave the Laugh is there for Georgia with friendship and advice when she needs him although she can't see what else he's offering her. Basically, Georgia's still self-centered, annoying, and a stereotypical teenager but since she's fictional, she's as entertaining as all get out. If she was real (and my child), I might have to smack her spoiled, selfish little self with a shovel. As she's not, I'm looking forward to the next installment in the series to see if she's grown up any and how she's handling the small bit of self-knowledge she comes to by the end of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts